Happy New Year, Interweb! I hope 2010 is off to an excellent start for all of you. I had a remarkably peaceful, delightful time at the coast with Ed. A little tip for those of you enjoying a five-course meal at a fabulous hotel restaurant: pace yourselves. For reals.
The vacation was well-earned and enjoyed after so much time with family (I mean really, it’s like a Reese Witherspoon movie up in here) and it was kind of cool to disconnect from technology (no cell service or laptops), television, and the like. But it’s also nice to get back to my routine, which includes writing about the minutiae of my life. Lucky you!
I’m jumping on the meme bandwagon here so we can wrap up 2009 properly and move into 2010 with great enthusiasm.
Here we go…
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Puked out the window of a moving vehicle. Aim high, kids.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Oh shit, did I even make any last year? Frankly, I’m a little too lazy to search my archives or, you know, think about that. So we’ll go with I didn’t make any last year and this year I am putting more energy into healthy living. No, seriously.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Dude, I can’t swing a dead cat without hitting someone who has a kid shooting out her vag. More to come in 2010!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
RIP Dr. Fred W. Miller.
5. What places did you visit?
Sacramento, Mendocino, your mom’s house. Shit, this is pathetic, y’all. I need to get out more.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Follow through on my goals.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory?
April 3, July 23, August 17
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting laid off for the first time ever and starting my own business.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting the actions of others affect me so greatly.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I self-diagnosed with several diseases but turns out all false alarms.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Magenta sude flats with little ruffles, and Evan’s new Buzz Lightyear toy
12. Where did most of your money go?
Can I say “charity” since “products” sounds so horribly shallow?
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Meeting someone really awesome, Evan’s birthday party at a fire station, any time spent with friends.
14. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Poker Face by Lady Gaga. I am not proud of this.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. Also, Phatter.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer!
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Running, learning to cook, traveling.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying, being frustrated, trying to be everything to everyone.
18. How did you spend your summer holidays?
No real “summer holiday” other than weekend trips to visit the family and such.
19. Did you fall in love in 2009?
20. How many one-night stands?
One. With a bottle of Jameson. It was awesome.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
30 Rock (DUH), but Glee and Modern Family are vying for my love. In other news, I might break up with The Office.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t hate anyone.
23. What was the best book you read?
Working on Anna Karenina like a good little English major
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Me on Evan’s drum set. I’m like Animal and Rick Allen (with two arms) combined.
25. What did you want and get?
26. What did you want and not get?
Bigger boobs. Don’t judge.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Away We Go was lovely, as was The Hangover
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Dinner with the fam at my favorite local sushi place to celebrate the big 3-1
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery would have made some things much easier.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I feel like my style has two modes: hobo and prom queen. I mean, when I’ve got it, I look good. But right now? Sweatpants, Uggs, long-sleeved t-shirt, no make-up. We need to work on this; there must be a middle ground in there somewhere, right?
31. What kept you sane?
My people, this blog
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The usuals from my List of Five, Tina Fey, Mark Harmon, Joel McHale
33. Whose behaviour appalled you?
I think I am obligated to say Tiger Woods, with special props to Jon Gosselin and a shout out to Charlie Sheen.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Make sure the window is rolled all the way down if you are going to puke out of a moving vehicle. Related note: quit mixing booze.