This weekend is Bubba’s first hip-hop dance recital.
Wait, let’s just take a minute to digest that. A DeFazio kid, known to be among the whitest and spazziest in the land, is fucking KILLING IT in hip-hop dance.
OK, moving on.
I am beyond sad about missing his performance. His quiet little, “Can you come see it?” over the phone last night just about killed me dead. DEAD I SAY. Honestly, I’ve been battling a serious case of homesickness lately. Ed’s business trip last week took him to my hometown (or at least hometown-adjacentish area) and when he called to tell me where he had eaten and all the places he walked by I had to stop myself from bursting into tears. The final straw was last night while watching “House Hunters” and this (completely inane, ridiculous) couple was house hunting where I grew up and I started to miss Fremont. No one has ever “missed” Fremont. Something is clearly wrong with me. So in an effort to snap myself out of this funk I am focusing on things that make me happy. And hoping that by writing them down here I can look back and tell myself to shut up and get happy already for fuck’s sake. (Fun fact: “Get Happy Already for Fuck’s Sake” was the working title of the Partridge Family hit “Come On Get Happy”*)
- De-friending, hiding or un-following various people on social networking sites has improved my mood. The allure of the trainwreck or potential to mock has lost its appeal and I’m enjoying being connected to funny, smart people rather than constantly rolling my eyes at the idiocy of others. I know this isn’t a groundbreaking revelation: eliminate annoying influences, surround yourself with positive ones, and feel better. But man, I underestimated how much better I’d feel.
- Birthday festivities for Ed are under way, as are Easter weekend plans with a shitload of family – including Bubba – in town. Easter now holds a special place in my heart since we got engaged around that time of year. I’m having fun coming up with decor and menu ideas for the three separate gatherings we’re hosting. I WILL MAKE PINTEREST BOARDS COME TO LIFE! (Check back with me next week when enthusiasm has given way to panic.)
- Mad Men is back, bitches! As Megan Draper danced and sang her sexy little song in French for Don’s 40th birthday Ed looked at me and asked, “Why don’t you sing to me in French?” “Uh, because the only song I know is my school song and that’s all about Jesus.” Of course, now I’m thinking of dressing up in my completely hideous school uniform and singing “Coeur de Jesus” at his birthday party, but I’m pretty sure I’d never be able to look any of our friends in the eye ever again.
- In honor of what would have been Ed’s grandpa’s 95th birthday on March 17th and what would have been my grandpa’s 100th birthday on March 18th, we busted out the home winemaking kit my father-in-law gave us for Christmas to make our first batch. It’s like bathtub gin, but sanitary! We need to come up with a name; my inital suggestion of “Dear God, I Hope This Doesn’t Taste Like Ass” doesn’t fit well on a label. Any ideas? We’re making a Riesling, if that helps. I’m really hoping that Ed’s attention to detail in terms of sanitizing everything means you won’t be reading “Idiot Couple Poisons Selves, Loved Ones with Toxic Booze” in the paper. Can we also talk about how awesome it is that we have the means to make wine in the comfort and privacy of our home? No need to remain sober enough to drive to the store! No need for pants or shoes to wear while at the store!
- Last weekend we out to a lovely dinner to celebrate a friend’s birthday. We all realized that it was still early and decided to head out for a nightcap at one of the weirdest bars in town. Not a dive, really, but I feel like if I were ever going to be stabbed or have to break a bottle and use it in a fight, THIS would be the place. Anyway, our group was sitting at a table chatting when some dude marched on over and looked at me and said, “You look like that person on 30 Rock.” And then he walked away. That was it. I wasn’t wearing my glasses so I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean Tina Fey (plus I know I don’t actually look like her), and people do tell me I remind them of Kristen Schaal all the time so I’m betting he meant her. Or Tracy Morgan. Anyway, every time I think about that brief, random encounter I crack up.
So, that’s what has me smiling on this cold, gray day. Hope you’re all finding reasons to smile.
*This is not a fact. Please don’t sue me David Cassidy!